St Louis - St Charles Benefits of Blown Insulation.
10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
Fall is here but winter is nipping at its heels. With winter comes cold weather, of course, but your comfort could also be affected too. Sub-par insulation in St Louis and St. Charles, and not enough of it, can make your home colder than it has to be. In addition to the obvious attics and walls, there are many other areas of your house that you can insulate to ensure total comfort this winter.
Here's a look at the top 10 insulation project to do before winter:
1. Insulate Pipes
When temperatures dip below freezing, your plumbing is in danger. Pipes where water lingers, unprotected by the insulation that may be safeguarding the rest of your home, can freeze on very cold nights. The result? Expanding ice that can crack pipes and flood homes. Your pipes, particularly those in cold areas, should be properly insulated.
2. Attic Installation
Heat rises, so you have to ensure your attic is properly insulated - even those empty corners and shallow areas where insulation did not settle sufficiently. Those areas, as well as small cracks, can easily be filled with spray foam insulation in St. Louis. Your attic should also have appropriate ventilation, or condensation can build up and cause more problems.
3. Insulate Garage
If you have a "hobby-friendly" garage that you frequently use for anything other than basic storage, it should be insulated. Basic batt insulation and garage door insulation will work well here. While you're at it, you can clean up that cluttered garage to make way for your crafts, tool bench, music equipment, and any other hobby you may have.
4. Insulate New Exterior Walls
Your existing exterior walls should be insulated already, but any new walls from recent renovations should also be properly insulated. In a nutshell, any wall that faces the outside needs good insulation.
5. Basement or Newly Renovated Basments
If you have a finished basement, proper insulation is necessary for the walls, as well as moisture barriers.
6. Upper Roof Trusses
Roof crawl spaces are typically already insulated, but what often happens over time is that blown insulation will settle around the lower end of those roof trusses. Then, the cold from winter will force the top of the trusses to contract, as the heated bottom ends start to expand. This can result in groaning and creaking noises from your roof, not to mention costly structural damage over the years. If your roof is displaying these problems, it's time to improve your insulation. Get an inspection by a qualified insulation contractor in St. Charles.
7. Cold Floors
If you have floors that are open to the outside air, such as with an upper-level expansion or uninsulated foundation, you should think about insulating them.
8. Outdoor Faucets
Just as with your unprotected pipes, you don't want your outdoor faucets and spigots to fall victim to ice expansion. In this case, you could install a frost-proof outdoor faucet to remedy this.
9. Insulate Ventas & Ductwork
Old vents can open up your house to outside temperatures if not properly protected. Protect your ductwork with insulation to keep the warm air in.
10. Air Leakage Points / Air Sealing
Outlets, light fixtures and switches tend to allow air to pass through. These small gaps and leaks will lose a lot of heat over time if left unchecked. Properly seal them to prevent this problem.
Contact Our Insulation Experts in St. Louis MO
Let us ensure your home is properly insulated before winter hits. Give us a call in St. Charles or St. Louis at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
Popular Insulation Services in Missouri
- Drill & Fill
- Insulation Upgrade
- Insulation Removal
- Blown Insulation
- Increased R-Value
- New Construction
- Energy Efficiency
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog