St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Do I have Enough Insulation?
As the biggest open space in your home, your attic is the most difficult place to keep temperature-regulated. Chilly attics are due to improper insulation, allowing heat to escape to the outdoors from the upper floor. This translates to increased heating costs as well as energy usage.
The U.S. Department of Energy says that most attics should have more insulation than they actually do. In fact, about 90 percent of homes in this country are under-insulated. Having not enough insulation is a preventable cause of lost heat during winter. But if you take steps to insulate your attic properly, you could enjoy a heating bill savings of 10 to 50 percent each winter.
Insulation Considerations For Missouri
So how do you know if your attic has enough insulation?
Basically, insulation is measured with R-value, which is the thickness of your insulation. Your recommended R-value will depend on your climate. Homes in the south don’t need as much insulation as homes in New England, for example. The age of your home will also play a role.
Grab a ruler and head up to the attic. Measure the height from the floor to the top of your insulation. Older homes usually have four to five inches of insulation (R-15) which is not enough for heat preservation. The DOE says homes in the south should have at least 13 to 14 inches of insulation (R-38), while northern homes should have at least 16 to 18 inches of insulation (R-49).
If your insulation level comes up short, you may want to add some.
Best Insulation Methods
This is subjective and will depend a lot on your existing insulation type as well as budget.
- Loose-fill insulation: These are small bits of insulation that you can blow into spaces in your attic, creating layers to improve heat retention. This type fills gaps, joints, and corners very well.
- Batting: Best for standard joist spacing, this type of insulation is not as good for attics with obstructions. Batting doesn’t give you a vapor barrier either, although it is relatively easy to install.
- Spray foam: This offers zero heat loss and offers a moisture barrier but it’s very tricky and costly to install. These installations may off-gas toxic poisons.
DIY Insulation or Professional?
Like any other home improvement project, it’s always recommended that you hire a professional insulation contractor in St. Louis MO to handle this. There are some things you can do on your own, such as measure your insulation and gather your heating bills to check for higher than normal energy bills.
But when it comes to installation, hire a pro who can bring the right materials, equipment and safety gear to get the job done right.
Insulation in St louis & St Charles MO
For a home visit and free quote on attic insulation replacement, contact us at 636-233-7314. We can determine the R-value of your current insulation and recommend the proper amount to add. Insulating homes in O'Fallon, Wentzville, to St LouisEnergy Saving Blog
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog