St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Converting An Attic Is A great Way To Add Space in St Louis, MO Area
If you have a spacious attic that you don’t really use, you may consider converting that area into a usable, livable space. But you’ll have to do some research first to ensure an attic conversion would be a safe, energy-efficient, building code-compliant project. Part of that will involve installing the proper amounts of insulation to ensure the energy efficiency and comfort of the space.
Pros and Cons
Converting an attic into some other type of room not only boosts the functionality of your home, it increases the appeal to future home buyers. You can convert your attic into many types of rooms such as:
- Additional bedroom
- In-law apartment
- Rental space
- Kids’ playroom
- Extra storage space
- Music room
- Bonus room
- Man cave
- Creative space
- Art room
- Yoga studio
- Craft room
- Reading nook
While the possibilities are virtually endless, there are some drawbacks to attic conversions, especially if you try to do it yourself or don’t get the appropriate professional assistance.
There are some cons associated with attic conversion without consulting a professional. Sub-par attic conversions can:
- Negatively impact whole-home ventilation
- Compromise whole-home energy efficiency
- Pose safety issues (especially if it’s not structurally sound or doesn’t include a fire suppression system)
- Reduce comfort levels in other living spaces if you have the improper type or amount of insulation, or if you have an improperly sized or routed HVAC system
- Result in unhealthy interior air quality if you store questionable items in the space.
Tips For an Attic-to-Room Conversion
Check out these tips to ensure your attic conversion is a successful one.
Hire a licensed contractor
Before you get into the planning phase, consult with a few contractors, such as builders, electricians and insulation contractors in O’Fallon MO. These professionals can verify the structural integrity of your attic overall as well as its flooring before beams are removed or extra weight is added.
Ask these professionals how you could best relocate your HVAC system, electrical system, plumbing pipes and other equipment – which are usually hidden away in the attic. Now you will have to find another place for them.
Verify Attic Safety
If your attic is unfinished or you haven’t used it in a while, you will need to:
- Look for signs of moisture damage, mold and mildew, pests, and more, as these can weaken wood support systems
- Ensure the flooring is sound
- Verify the structural integrity of joists
- Wear proper safety gear, such as masks so you don’t breathe in harmful particulates
If the house was built prior to the 1980s or you believe the insulation is original, call an attic insulation specialist first. They can inspect the existing insulation and see if it contains illegal and harmful substances such as asbestos and formaldehyde.
Clean and Sanitize the Attic
Hire attic cleaning and sanitation professionals who can safely clean out and remove contaminated insulation. They can also sanitize the area to ensure no evidence of pests, mold, or mildew is left behind.
Ensure Adequate Ventilation and Insulation
Attics contribute to your home’s energy efficiency plan. You need to have adequate insulation and ventilation in the attic, so make sure your conversion plan takes this into account.
Call Addict Insulation in St. Charles MO
Call our attic insulation contractors in St. Charles MO today when planning an attic conversion project for your home. Get a fee quote and schedule a consult when you contact us at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog