St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Routine Attic Inspection Can Save Thousands of Dollars
You probably don’t give much thought to your attic, much less the insulation up there, but you should. That’s because there’s a good chance it could be contaminated. There are many ways your insulation could be compromised, from pest infestation to water and smoke damage.
Routine attic inspections are a must for any homeowner. Be sure to occasionally visit this area of your home to check out its current state. Clean the area, check the walls, and look out for signs of contamination. You may need an attic insulation contractor in St. Louis to replace your contaminated insulation with fresh insulation.
Here are the common ways in which your attic insulation could be contaminated and how to fix it. Ignoring the problem could lead to serious health threats to your family.
While you may have ample insulation in your attic, it may contain asbestos if it was installed before the 1980s. Its use was banned in 1977. On its own, it doesn’t do too much damage. However, when it’s disturbed, it can break down and release microscopic fibers into the air. Occupants can inhale those fibers, which can land in the lungs and lead to respiratory issues and even cancer.
Lung cancer and mesothelioma are the top two potentially fatal diseases associated with asbestos poisoning. If you think your attic insulation contains asbestos, call an insulation contractor in St. Charles right away. Do not attempt to move or remove it on your own.
Mice love attics. After all, it’s warm up there when they nestle into the insulation. They can get the peace and quiet they need to breed out of the way of the elements. While they are certainly pests and can leave droppings all over the place, they’re not the only rodents that will take up residence in your attic. Rats and squirrels like to make themselves comfortable up there as well.
The destruction rodents cause to attic spaces can be staggering. Not only do they nest in insulation and clothing, they chew your electrical wiring, which can lead to a fire. Plus, mice can leave up to 100 droppings a day in your insulation, not to mention urine.
Rodents also transmit disease. The CDC says there are more than 30 types of diseases that can be transmitted by rodents such as the Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome and Salmonellosis. A clean attic will go a long way towards preserving your family’s health.
Mold grows in moist environments, and your attic is a great place for that. Water can accumulate from leaks, poor attic ventilation, ice dams, and improperly-installed insulation. Mold poses significant health issues if you inhale the spores, leading to conditions such as respiratory infections, allergic reactions, and weakened immune systems.
Once mold sets in upstairs, it can quickly spread through the whole house through your air ducts. Getting a professional inspection regularly can determine if your attic is at risk of growing mold or already does harbor mold spores.
So how do you prevent these dangers from impacting your home and health? Your best bet is to call an insulation contractor in St. Louis skilled in decontaminating insulation. They will:
- Bag and remove all contaminated insulation
- Remove droppings
- Disinfect the area
- Rodent-proof the area
- Re-insulate the attic
Contact Addict Insulation St Charles, MO
Not sure if your attic insulation is contaminated? To book an inspection and free quote, contact us at 636-233-7314 today.Energy Saving Blog
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog