St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Insulation Removal Can Be A Hazard
From rodent infestation to water damage, there are many reasons why you would need to remove old insulation from your attic. Mice leave urine and droppings behind, which is a health risk. Excess moisture creates the perfect environment for mold growth, which is also a health threat to your family. Whatever your reason for needing attic insulation removal, don’t ever try to remove it on your own. This is definitely a job for an insulation contractor in St Louis, St Charles and O’Fallon MO area. Here’s why.
Older Insulation = Toxic Materials
First off, if your attic insulation is several decades old, it’s likely comprised of harmful materials than can pose significant health risks when it is disturbed during removal. Insulation in homes built up to the 1970s likely contain asbestos, a toxic and carcinogenic material that can severely damage the lungs when inhaled.
Exposing yourself to asbestos can boost the risk for mesothelioma and asbestosis, among other health conditions. This is why insulation removal is best left to the professionals, as they wear the proper safety gear and know how to properly remove disturbed insulation containing asbestos.
Just because you may not feel the effects of the insulation handling immediately doesn’t mean you won’t feel them later. Symptoms don’t often show themselves until 20 or 30 years after initial exposure!
Droppings and Other Harmful Substances
One of the most common reasons why people need to remove and replace attic insulation is due to rodent infestation. Pests like mice and rats burrow in the soft insulation to get away from the cold, where they create a nest and have their babies. And of course, they will deposit their urine and droppings here as well. These are unhealthy to humans when inhaled because they can contain noroviruses.
Another common reason for removing insulation is because of water damage. Moisture can be a breeding ground for mold and mildew, which can spur respiratory problems in humans.
And yet another reason for removal of insulation is because of fire or smoke damage. Even a small fire can send smoke and soot into your insulation, where it stays day after day leaving a strong odor. And because water is used to put out a fire, moisture can lead to mold growth. The only way to effectively remedy a fire or smoke damaged attic is by removing the old insulation and adding new.
A professional can handle removal. With loose fill or blown in insulation, they use an extraction machine to suck out the insulation. With fiberglass batt removal, they must remove it manually, one batt at a time.
Call Addict Insulation in St. Charles MO
Don’t DIY this job. Instead, consult with our attic insulation removal specialists in O’Fallon MO if you suspect your insulation has degraded, contains toxic substances or has been comprised by water or rodent droppings. contact us today for a consultation at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog