St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Should I insulate my basment?
A properly insulated basement can save energy along with saving you money on heating and provide a comfortable dry living space.
Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
If you are thinking about finishing your basement in St. Louis MO, one of your first thoughts may be: do I need insulation? If so, what type is best?
Well, if you are planning to finish your basement, this typically means adding heat, carpeting or other flooring, drywall, and more. You’re likely looking to use the space as an extra living area, which means you should definitely insulate it for optimal comfort. No sense in going through all that effort if no one can use the basement in the winter.
Reasons to Insulate Your Basement
Some people argue that basement insulation isn’t important because the foundation temperature stays a constant 55 degrees or so, and the wind doesn’t blow eight feet underground. However, it’s still a good idea to insulate a basement when you’re remodeling. Here’s why:
- Most new building codes require a R-11 insulation or better in your walls when finishing a basement.
- Insulation makes a big difference in how warm the basement will remain. Just remember, most cold basements result from lack of heat supply rather than heat loss.
- Insulation acts as an effective fire block, saving you a lot of money over building a drywall fire-stop.
- Insulation helps block sound and reduce noise, a critical factor if your teenage son and his rock band plan to hold their practices down there, or if you’re looking to convert the basement into a game room or man cave.
Which Materials to Use in Your Basemet
The key to insulating your basement walls successfully is to select insulation in St. Charles MO that stops moisture movement and prevents mold growth. Basements are an ideal location for spray foam products. Ideal for basements and damp areas, spray foam locks out the water vapor that’s always trying to get from your damp basement walls into the finished basement room or rooms.
Spray foam insulation:
- Offers additional structural stability
- Acts as an excellent vapor barrier
- Easily and effectively covers wires, pipes and other utilities
- Has exceptional R values
Problem is, it can get pretty messy, which is where a professional comes in.
Fiberglass Batting Insulation
Fiberglass batting is another, more common, insulation material that works well for attics and walls as well. However, if you have a history of water damage in your basement, you may not want to go this route. Fiberglass batting is easily moisture damaged. For relatively dry basements, you can install fiberglass insulation within the stud cavities.
Why You Need Professional Installation
You may assume concrete is very dry, but it’s not. It acts like a sponge and is actually very porous. It’s important to have a professional insulate your walls to avoid improper installation or mold growth. Many homeowners mistakenly finished their basement with fiberglass insulation that comes into direct contact with the concrete foundation walls. This almost always results in a serious mold problem – a risky health concern for your family.
Contact Addict Insulation
Not sure which type of insulation is best for your basement? We can provide expert recommendations on basement insulation in St. Louis MO. Just call us at 636-233-7314 or fill out our online form.Energy Saving Blog
Missouri Insulation Company
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog