Roof Ventilation Is Just as Important As Insulation
Importance of Roof Ventilations
Your roof plays a very important role in the insulation and ventilation of your attic. But many homeowners assume that just because they have quality insulation, that they don’t need a quality ventilation system to go with it. This is false. You need both if you want a healthy roof, attic and home.
In a nutshell, ventilation is designed to circulate the air that flows through your home to keep it fresh while reducing moisture levels. Did you know 90 percent of homes in this country have astronomically high levels of moisture? Proper attic ventilation can save your roof and lead to increased comfort in the home.
Here’s why you shouldn’t discount the importance of ventilation in St. Louis, which is just as important as the insulation that lines your attic and the rest of your home.
The important Role of Roof Ventilation
Ventilation only works when the air can flow through. There are two ways to do this in your attic: you need a power source, or you can take advantage of natural roof ventilation via the stack effect and wind effect working in conjunction.
The stack effect is when hot air starts to rise, creating a higher pressure at the top points in your attic. Exhaust is simply hot air that escapes, but it can’t do this if there’s no inlet for low-pressure, cooler air. Cool air that gets into your home is called intake. When wind blows against your roof, this boosts the amount of intake and exhaust, thereby creating the wind effect.
3 Advantages of Roof Ventilation
Check out these top reasons why you should always have proper roof ventilation:
1. It Allows for Proper Attic Ventilation
Just like for your HVAC system, you need the exact amount of attic ventilation, as improper or lack of ventilation can give you big headaches in terms of moisture levels in winter and a drain on energy efficiency in summer. But don’t assume that too much ventilation is a good thing; it’s just as bad. Roof vents allows for more roof penetration, which can pave the way for leaks. In the end, you need proper venting of your roof – not necessarily more.
2. It Extends Your Roof Life
In the summer, did you know the temperature on your roof can be twice that of the interior of the home? This results in an extremely hot attic, especially if you have poor ventilation because heat can’t escape. This heat buildup leads to damage of your shingles, which essentially get baked from the inside out.
3. It Slashes Energy Costs
As the exterior temperature rises, a properly vented roof gives that heat a way to get out, reducing the amount of work your HVAC system has to do. This results in a lower energy bill.
There are many reasons why your ventilation system is important, as a properly operating one should work seamlessly with the insulation in your attic.
Getting Rid of Allergens
Contact Addict Insulation Located in St Charles, MO
Whether you want spray foam insulation or you would rather install blown insulation, don’t neglect the importance of ventilation as it relates to insulation in your attic. To schedule your consultation, contact us in St. Charles MO or St. Louis MO at 636-233-7314Energy Saving Blog
Insulation Services in Missouri
- Residential Property
- Insulation Upgrade
- Thermal Performance
- Commercial Property
- Increased R-Value
- New Construction
- Energy Efficiency
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog