St Louis - St Charles Under Insulated Home.
5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
If your home is always drafty, you just can't seem to get comfortable, or your energy bills are rising with no other cause, you may have an under-insulated house. It's more common than you think, and it's easily preventable and fixable. residential insulation plays a huge role in the energy efficiency of your St Louis home. Without sufficient insulation, you'll be throwing good money after bad when it comes to your home heating and cooling bills.
According to the U.S. Department of Energy, heating and cooling account for 50 to 70 percent of the energy used in the average American home. Heat gain or loss stemming from inadequate insulation is the top cause of energy waste in most homes. Proper insulation and air-sealing techniques can ensure whole-house energy savings of 10 to 20 percent over pre-retrofit energy usage, with savings for older homes and homes with little to no insulation being even higher.
Missouri Homes Older Than 40 Years
The 77 million homes built prior to 1980 don't have any insulation regulations to follow, which means there are quite a lot of home that have little to no insulation. But even people living in modern homes still seem to be experiencing signs of insufficient insulation. Here's how to tell if your home doesn't have adequate insulation.
1. You're Never Comfortable
Insulation regulates the temperature inside your home. If you don't have sufficient insulation, nothing is keeping your heated or cooled air inside where it should be. This is why you are never quite comfortable - either bundling up in the winter with blankets or sweating in the summer.
2. Temperatures Vary By Room
You may not have enough insulation when different rooms are always at different temperatures, even when on the same floor. There is no consistency: one room is always warmer or colder than the one right next to it. Could be that your existing insulation has settled and isn't doing is no longer doing its job.
3. Your Energy Bills are Getting Higher
When a home is insufficiently insulated, the furnace or air conditioner is likely running all the time in an attempt to regulate temperatures. But it's working too hard to quite get the job done, meaning you're shelling out a lot more money on monthly energy bills than you should. All that expensive heated or cooled air is escaping through your walls, attic and windows.
4. You Have Critters
In addition to keeping your conditioned air inside where it belongs, insulation also fills in the little crevices that allow bugs and mice to get into your home.
5. Frozen pipes and ice dams
If you live in an area with cold winters, insufficient insulation can lead to all kinds of household problems. Frozen pipes can burst and cause flooding. Ice dams can form on your roof and lead to damaging leaks. But with enough quality insulation, your home stays warm and secure, even on the coldest days of winter. In fact, think of it as providing a much-needed winter coat for your home.
What can you do if your home is under-insulated?
We will, add insulation to your home! For older homes we use the drill and fill method that fills your walls with the most effective insulation available today. Spray foam insulation for open walls is quick. Drill and fill insulation is injected through the exterior of your home, with no fuss and no mess. You'll notice improved comfort indoors right away and lower energy bills!
Addict Insulation Has the Solution
Are you ready to stay cool this summer? Fighting off the summer heat is easier than you think when you partner with Addict Insulation. Get in touch today to solve any and all insulation problems you may have, from spray foam insulation, Drill & Fill insulation to blown insulation. We can assess your current insulation level and recommend the proper action. Why throw money out the door this summer? All it takes is new insulation to beat the heat.
Contact us in the greater St. Charles MO or St. Louis MO area at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
Popular Insulation Services in Missouri
- Residential Property
- Insulation Upgrade
- Thermal Performance
- Commercial Property
- Increased R-Value
- New Construction
- Energy Efficiency
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog