St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
How To Make Your Attice Energy Efficient
Your attic plays an important role in whole-home energy efficiency. Think about it. The same concept applies to wearing a hat outside in the winter. You do this to keep your head warm, which in turn helps to keep the rest of your body warm. Your attic is no different. You need to ensure it has been properly insulated so it can keep the rest of your home comfortable and warm on a consistent basis.
So, just like a hat regulates your body temperature, your attic regulates your home’s temperature, as well as adds to comfort and healthy air quality levels. Old, outdated or improperly insulated attics, on the other hand, can’t keep up with your thermostat demands, encourage pest infiltration, and welcome polluted air into your ducts.
Attic Updates to Make
Here are some important attic updates to make that will affect your home’s energy efficiency.
1. Schedule an Energy Audit
To start, schedule a professional attic inspection with a licensed, experienced insulation contractor in St. Charles MO to assess your situation and let you know what improvements you should make. A local contractor knows the area well, along with the homes, the climate and how attics in your neighborhood were built. They can also refer you to other contractors if it turns out you need work done to your roof, siding, plumbing or electrical system.
2. Ensure Proper Air Sealing
How well your attic is sealed will impact its efficiency. The weather stripping and seals around roof edges, windows, exterior walls, and penetrations will wear down over the years. In the warm weather, cool air can then escape from resulting cracks, gaps or leaks. In the colder months, your heater-warmed heat can escape.
Add drafts and fluctuating temperatures to the mix and your HVAC system will have to work much harder to keep up with your thermostat preferences. Your HVAC system will run much more smoothly once you seal up those air leaks and get rid of drafts.
3. Update or Replace Your Insulation
There are many factors that play into whether you need to update or replace your existing insulation.
- Quantity. Older homes often feature flattened, compact, misplaced, missing or damaged insulation. Adding some extra batts may do the trick.
- Efficiency. If your insulation doesn’t meet current energy guidelines, it’s time to update.
- Damage. Everything from leaks to pest infestations can cause damage to insulation. In the case of pests, you will have to completely replace the insulation to ensure all droppings and urine have been eliminated, which is a health issue if left unchecked.
- Toxicity. Insulation can be toxic in historic homes. Make sure your insulation is current and up to the latest codes and standards.
4. Update Ventilation
Roofing, insulation, and ventilation are all critical in keeping your attic energy efficient. Vents in your attic work to push out hot, humid air out while encouraging the circulation of fresh air, which improves your indoor air quality overall. If you have too much moisture or humidity in your home, you may have to add ventilation sources, such as exhaust fans, intake vents, ridge vents, and static vents.
Call Addict Insulation in St. Charles MO
We are the premier insulation contractors in St. Louis MO and we can improve your attic’s energy efficiency in no time. Pick up the phone and schedule your no-cost consultation at 636-233-7314. Just contact us in St. Louis MO or St. Charles MO to learn more.Energy Saving Blog
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog