St Louis - St Charles Summer Tips For Home Efficiency.
What Problems To Look For With Attic Insulation
If you’ve been experiencing uneven temps in your home for a while now or your energy bills are sky rocketing, could be that your attic insulation in St. Charles MO is to blame. There may not be enough of it, you don’t have the right type, or it wasn’t installed correctly.
Inadequate or low-quality insulation in your attic can lead to anything from mold growth to pest invasions. Be on the lookout for these top five attic insulation problems.
1. Mildew and Mold
Organic growth is a common issue when it comes to attic insulation, thanks to all the extreme temperatures that happen up there. Moisture is the biggest culprit when it comes to mold, for example, which can proliferate in wet conditions. If you have experienced roof leaks in the past or you don’t have a vapor barrier, water will absorb into your insulation and become a breeding ground for mold and mildew, which can have serious health consequences for occupants.
All sorts of pests could be nesting in your insulation, and you probably don’t even realize it. You may not go into your attic a lot, or when you do, it’s dark and imposing so you can’t see much. Anything from rats and mice to squirrels and bats could be lurking up there, nesting in your insulation, leaving disease-carrying urine and feces behind. Call a pest control company, then call a trusted attic insulation contractor in St. Louis MO to remove and replace the affected materials.
3. Shifted and Settled Materials
It’s common, over time, for cellulose and blown-in insulation materials to shift and settle, becoming more compact. This results in a lower R-Value for your attic, which will translate to higher energy bills. Could be that your insulation was installed improperly, leading to uneven distribution and thus air movement. Consider using spray foam, which doesn’t settle or shift over time.
4. Blocked Attic Vents
Your attic has to be properly vented, but if those vents are blocked, air flow can’t be achieved. Thus, your attic insulation can fall victim to moisture, which leads to mildew and mold growth. Periodically check your attic vents to ensure nothing is blocking them.
5. Ice Dams
If you frequently get ice dams at the edge of your roof, it has a lot to do with poor attic insulation. Ice dams are when heavy icicles form when the snow melts and starts to run down the roof, only to refreeze at the edge. This is the result of only part of the roof warming up above freezing during the day, which melts the snow but keeps the roof edge below freezing. Additional insulation as well as ventilation may fix this problem. Also, use a snow rake in winter to remove excess snow, and to prevent cave-ins and leaks.
The best way to fix all of the above problems is to ensure your attic material is sufficient, clean, and high in quality. An insulation contractor in O’Fallon MO can let you know what the issue is and how best to fix it. It may involve just adding more insulation, or it could involve total replacement.
Contact Our Insulation Experts in St. Louis MO
There are many methods of adding insulation to your home this summer, such as spray foam insulation or blown insulation. Either way, we can install it for you. Just contact us in St. Charles MO or St. Louis MO at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
Popular Insulation Services in Missouri
- Drill & Fill
- Insulation Upgrade
- Insulation Removal
- Blown Insulation
- Increased R-Value
- New Construction
- Energy Efficiency
- FAQs About Insulation in Missouri
- What Areas Should You Insulate Before Winter?
- The Greatest Risks to Your Home Caused by Poor Insulation
- Why Your Utility Bills Are So High and What You Can Do About It
- Can You Put New Insulation Over Old?
- Here Are 3 Ways Your Attic Could be Contaminated
- How Home Insulation Works in the Summer
- Tips and Tricks For Summer Insulation
- How to Fix Indoor Condensation
- Choosing the Right Spray Foam Contractor
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog