St Louis - St Charles Insulation Company.
Insulating Your Carwlspace
Insulation is the #1 way to increase your home’s energy efficiency. It blocks outside air from getting into your home, plus it allows your HVAC system to work at peak efficiency. You spend too much money on your heating and cooling bills to lose air through an underinsulated crawlspace.
You probably know your walls and windows have to be insulated, but you may not give much thought to your crawl spaces. Fact is, crawl space insulation is just as important to an energy-efficient home as any other room in the house. You could be losing precious heated and cooled air through the floor. The type of insulation in St. Louis you will need for your crawlspace will depend on if it’s ventilated or unventilated.
Here are some signs that you need crawl space insulation replacement.
1. Higher Than Usual Energy Bills
A high energy bill is a classic sign of poor insulation. When outdoor temperatures get into your home, your HVAC system has to work overtime, which increases your energy bills.
2. Changing Indoor Temperatures
If your indoor temperatures are inconsistent, such as if the temperature changes with weather or time of day, your crawl space insulation could be to blame. That’s because insulation shifts over time, leaving unprotected areas. You may just have to add more insulation, but if the existing insulation has degraded or is not up to code, replacement if the only option.
3. Evidence of Pest Infestation
Critters love to take up residence in crawl spaces, so if you have noticed signs of rodents, bats, snakes, squirrels, or opossums in that area, you’ll need to change the insulation. That’s because it’s likely contaminated by urine, feces and nesting materials. Insulation removal by a professional is recommended.
4. Signs of Wet Insulation
If your insulation is wet, damp or moist, you can’t save it. replacement is the only option, as mold can grow there very quickly, and probably already has. The presence of mold and mildew compromises your air quality and leads to serious health consequences. Even if you managed to dry out the insulation, the remaining spores don’t go away. Because they are airborne, they will travel to other areas of your home.
5. Indoor Drafts
Poor insulation results in drafts. Usually, lack of proper attic insulation is the more common problem, but sometimes the underinsulated crawl spaces send drafts up through the floor. If you need slippers all winter or you feel like you have to wear three layers of socks and clothing, it could be due to a draft coming from below.
6. Settling and Compacting
Insulation settles over the years. When that happens, the thickness drops and the material weakens. This is called compacting. Most of the time, simply adding insulation will be enough to remedy the situation, but sometimes full replacement is necessary.
7. Outdated Insulation Materials
As insulation material ages, it loses thickness. It may also become outdated in terms of what is acceptable by building codes. As a rule, older insulation is too thin to do a proper job.
Call Addict Insulation in St. Charles MO
If you suspect your crawl space insulation is lacking in some way, let our insulation contractors in St. Charles MO visit your home and do an inspection to be sure. Make an appointment when you contact us at 636-233-7314.Energy Saving Blog
- Why You Need Power Washing This Spring
- Don't Let Air Escape Your Home
- Tips For Saving on Your Energy Bills This Summer
- Should I Install a Radiant Barrier in My Home?
- Are You Wondering if Your Attic Has Enough Insulation?
- Do I Have to Replace Wet Insulation?
- Insulating Your Sunroom
- Should You Insulate Your Outdoor Spaces?
- All About Removing Insulation
- What to Know About Insulating a Crawl Space
- How to Spot Mold in Your Wall Insulation
- How to Prevent Moisture in Your Warehouse With Spray Foam Insulation
- What Factors Cause Heat Gain?
- The Problems That Come With Improper Insulation
- Insulation FAQs
- Why Should You Check the Insulation When Buying a Home?
- Why Seal and Insulate Your Home?
- Home Insulation: Safety and Health
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog