St Louis - St Charles Insulation FAQs
FAQs About Insulation
Knowing when to add insulation to your home and how much can be confusing for many homeowners. Here at Addict Insulation, we’re all about educating our clients so they can make the most informed decisions possible. We have compiled some FAQs that we thought would be helpful as you navigate this important decision. Remember, it’s important to hire professional Insulation Contractors in St. Louis to ensure the best results.
Q: What type of insulation is best for my attic?
A: Fiberglass and cellulose blown-in insulation is best for attics because it fits all crevices.
Q: Why should I re-insulate?
A: Energy savings is the biggest benefit to installing more insulation in your home, particularly if you have a home built more than 20 years ago. Re-insulating also makes you feel more comfortable throughout all seasons. You may see between a 20 and 30 percent decrease in your energy bills with new insulation.
Q: What is an R-Value?
A: R-Value is a measure of insulation's ability to resist heat that travels through it. The higher the R-Value an insulation has, the better its thermal performance. In Missouri and Illinois, for instance, the standard R-Value is R-38. To calculate the R-value of your attic’s existing insulation, multiply the number of inches by the R-value for the type of insulation you have.
Q: When should I remove and replace insulation?
A: Insulation removal is usually necessary after you have experienced water damage from a leaking roof, smoke damage from a fire, or damage caused by critters such as squirrels, rodents, bats, birds or raccoons. They leave behind feces and urine that cause disease and respiratory problems.
Q: How important is ventilation?
A: Very. Proper ventilation will allow moisture that has collected under your roof to get out, which helps your home keep consistent temperatures while giving your roof a longer lifespan. If insulation gets wet, it can cause mold growth, which can pose health risks to occupants.
Q: Can I install different insulation over my existing insulation?
A: Yes. The only reason why you would first remove all the old insulation is if it has been damaged by smoke, water or animals.
Q: What is Drill and Fill insulation?
A: This type of insulation can be applied to the inside of walls, as it fills all cavities for a more comfortable and energy-efficient home.
Q: How do I know my home needs to be reinsulated?
A: High energy bills, inconsistent room temperature, drafts, and continuously running HVAC systems all signal that you should re-insulate your home.
Q: Besides my attic, what other areas of my home should I insulate?
Insulation isn’t just for outside walls and attics. It’s also for ceilings within unheated spaces, basement walls, floors above crawlspaces, cathedral ceilings, and floors over unheated porches or garages.
Q: What is the most environmentally-safe option for insulation?
A: Cellulose, as it is comprised of paper products.
Q: Will insulation help with sound control?
A: Yes. Insulation is a great source of soundproofing.
Contact Addict Insulation in St. Louis
Have more questions? Our insulation contractors in St. Charles can help. Just contact us anytime at 636-233-7314Energy Saving Blog
Popular Blown Insulation Services in Missouri
- Residential Property
- Insulation Upgrade
- Thermal Performance
- Commercial Property
- Increased R-Value
- New Construction
- Energy Efficiency
- Should You Remove Old Insulation During Replacement?
- Can I Stay Inside My Home During Spray Foam Insulation Installation?
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- Pros and Cons of Converting an Attic
- When’s the Best Time to Insulate Your House?
- The Difference Between Blown Insulation and Spray Foam Insulation
- Is Your Garage Loft Too Hot or Too Cold? Heed These Tips
- 6 Health Benefits of Having a Quiet Home
- Insulation Prep is Critical For Installation
- The Dangers of Removing Insulation on Your Own
- What’s the Most Eco-Friendly Insulation?
- 7 Benefits of Spray Foam Insulation
- What is the Proper Insulation For Vaulted Ceilings?
- Signs Your Crawlspace Insulation Should be Replaced
- Why You Should Insulate Your Basement Walls
- Most Effective Ways to Soundproof Your Home Office
- How to Insulate an Old House
- 4 Tips to Make Your Attic More Energy Efficient
- Attic Insulation Problems: 5 Things to Look Out For
- What Causes Condensation on Interior Walls?
- How Deep Should Your Insulation Be?
- What to Consider When Choosing an Insulation Company
- Can You Add New Insulation Layers Over Old Ones?
- When Should You Remove Insulation?
- 7 Tips For an Energy Efficient Summer
- Creating a Healthy, Comfortable and Productive Workspace When Working From Home
- Why is Roof Ventilation Just as Important as Insulation?
- Why Spring is a Good Time to Insulate Your Attic
- 5 Signs of Damaged or Insufficient Insulation
- Is the Insulation in Your Walls Making You Sick?
- Under-Insulated Areas You May Be Overlooking
- The History Of Insulation.
- Pros and Cons of Attic Insulation
- Do You Need Insulation When Finishing a Basement?
- What is Drill and Fill Insulation?
- Which Insulation is Best for Garage Walls?
- How Air is Escaping Your Home and How to Prevent It
- 10 Things You Must Absolutely Insulate Before Winter
- 5 Reasons To Not DIY Insulation
- 5 Signs of an Under-Insulated Home
- 5 Benefits of Blown Insulation
- Cellulose vs. Fiberglass Insulation
- When is Insulation Removal Necessary?
- Tips to Keep Your Home Cool This Summer
- What is the Best Insulation for a Flat Roof?
- 5 Benefits of Power Washing
- Q & A About Insulation
- Energy Saving Blog